Living Space above Garage Insurance

If you are living in a space above your garage, you may need to purchase additional insurance coverage. This is because your homeowner’s insurance policy may not cover any damage that occurs to the space above the garage. You will need to check with your insurance company to see if they offer this type of coverage and how much it will cost.

If you have a living space above your garage, you may be wondering if it’s properly insured. The good news is that most homeowners’ insurance policies will cover an attached garage and the living space above it. However, there are some things to keep in mind when it comes to insuring your garage apartment.

For starters, make sure that your policy includes coverage for “other structures” on your property. This will typically cover detached garages and other outbuildings, but it will also extend to any attached structures like a garage apartment. You’ll want to make sure that this coverage is included in your policy before anything happens to your living space above the garage.

Another thing to keep in mind is that standard homeowner’s insurance policies have limits on how much they’ll pay out for damages. These limits are usually based on a percentage of the overall value of your home. So, if you have a $200,000 home and a $20,000 limit for other structures, then the insurer would only pay out up to $10,000 for damages to your garage apartment (assuming it was completely destroyed).

If you’re concerned about having enough coverage for your garage apartment, you may want to consider getting a separate policy or increasing the limits on your existing policy. Either way, make sure you talk to your insurance agent about all of your options so that you can get the best protection possible for this important part of your home.

Attached Vs Detached Garage Insurance

There are a few key differences between attached and detached garage insurance. The most important difference is that an attached garage is typically covered by your home insurance policy, while a detached garage may not be. That’s because an attached garage is considered part of your home, while a detached garage is its own separate structure.

Another key difference is that attached garages are usually more expensive to insure than detached ones. That’s because they’re typically larger and have more valuable content, like tools and equipment. They also tend to be located closer to the main house, which means they’re at a higher risk for fire damage.

Is Homeowners Insurance Higher With an Attached Garage?

If you’re wondering whether your homeowner’s insurance rates are affected by having an attached garage, the answer is likely yes. Insurance companies typically consider any structure attached to your home as part of the property, and therefore subject to the same coverage and rates. So if you have an attached garage, you can expect your premiums to be slightly higher than if you had a detached garage.

There are a few things that insurers take into account when determining rates for attached garages. The first is the value of the structure itself. An attached garage is usually worth more than a detached one, so it will likely cost more to insure.

The second is the increased risk of fire. Because an attached garage shares walls with your home, there’s a greater chance of fire spreading from the garage to the house. This means that insurers will charge higher rates for properties with attached garages.

If you’re shopping for homeowners insurance and have an attached garage, be sure to compare quotes from multiple insurers. Some may charge higher rates than others, so it’s important to shop around and get the best deal possible.

What is Considered an Attached Garage for Insurance Purposes?

An attached garage is a garage that is physically connected to your home. This means that there is no space between the two structures and that the garage shares at least one wall with your home. Attached garages are typically found in newer homes, as they are easier and less expensive to build than detached garages.

For insurance purposes, an attached garage is usually covered under the same policy as your home. This means that if there is damage to the garage, it will be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. If you have a detached garage, it may be covered by a separate policy or rider on your homeowner’s insurance policy.

What Cannot Be Insured under a Dwelling Policy?

There are a few things that cannot be insured under a dwelling policy. These include the land on which your home is built, any outbuildings or detached structures on your property, and any personal belongings within your home. Your dwelling policy will only cover the physical structure of your home itself and any attached structures, such as a garage or deck.

Any damages to these areas will need to be covered by another type of insurance policy.

Is Garage Included in Square Footage for Insurance?

If you’re wondering whether or not your garage is included in your home’s square footage for insurance purposes, the answer is generally yes. Your garage will be included in the total square footage of your home when your insurer calculates your premium. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule.

Some insurers may exclude detached garages from the total square footage of your home, or they may only include them if they’re attached to your home. Additionally, some insurers may only include finished living space in their calculations, so an unfinished garage wouldn’t be counted. Ultimately, it’s best to check with your insurer to see how they calculate premiums and what factors they consider when determining coverage for your home.

By understanding how your policy works, you can be sure that you’re getting the coverage you need and that you’re not paying too much for it.

FULL COST BREAKDOWN $$$ – Watch This Before Converting your Garage into Living Space!!


If you have extra living space above your garage, you may be wondering if you need to get insurance for it. The answer is maybe. If the space is used as a rental unit, then you will most likely need to get insurance for it.

If you live in the space yourself, your homeowner’s insurance policy may cover it. It’s a good idea to check with your insurance agent to be sure.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *